North Dakota State University
Fargo, North Dakota
Ceres Hall was the first women’s dormitory on the North Dakota Agricultural College campus. Constructed in 1910, the original building housed 115 women and contained a cafeteria. Today, Ceres hall contains administrative offices. In 2009, the Ceres Hall renovation and addition included a 7,670 square-foot mechanical and electrical retrofit on the first level for the Ceres Hall Building, and an approximately 3,510 square-foot addition. Being that the building is a century old, it was crucial for the design team to preserve the existing structure and highlight historical elements.
A new variable air volume system was provided for the first floor existing and addition spaces. The new variable air volume boxes were tied into an existing air handling unit for the existing first floor, and a new air handling unit was provided for the addition. New plumbing, piping and fixtures were provided for the new restrooms. The entire area was provided with new fire protection.